id Software’s upcoming shooter Doom will include nine multiplayer maps at launch, Bethesda confirmed today as part of a new blog post and video. Each map is unique, Bethesda says, taking players to places like UAC facilities on Mars and the pits of Hell itself. You can take a look at these in the video below.
“Every map is constructed to keep the action brutally fast-paced,” Bethesda said. “These multi-tiered combat arenas are littered with hazards, and packed with items that can turn the tide of combat at a moment’s notice. And while they all have secrets for you to uncover, none of them are built to allow for easy sniping or hiding points.”
As you can see in the video, some of the maps feature one- or two-way teleporters, which humans and demons alike can use (though weapon fire can’t make it through). There are also bounce pads, explosive barrels, radioactive slime, and lava pits, as well as fire elements that will hurt you if touched.
Below is a rundown of the nine multiplayer maps that will be available when Doom launches on May 13. It is possible more will be added as DLC down the road, but no announcements to that effect were made.
As announced earlier, a closed multiplayer beta for Doom will run March 31 through April 3. Players who preorderedWolfenstein: The New Order and redeemed their beta code will have access to the closed beta period, while you can also go to GameStop to get a free code. It remains to be seen if there are other ways to get in. More information about Doom’s multiplayer beta can be found on the official website.
Doom is slated for a May 13 release date. Developer id Software recently held a competition allowing fans to vote upon their favoured design for a reverse sleeve cover for the game–check out the winning art design here.
Doom Launch Maps Include:
Descriptions written by Bethesda
- Excavation: A modest-sized UAC mining outpost. Watch out for the rock grinder!
- Infernal: A mid-sized Hell map with both interior and exterior elements. Lots of platforms and chasms, along with teleporters.
- Chasm: This massive map takes you deep below the polar ice caps of Mars. A great place to play Freeze Tag.
- Disposal: This smaller map is the main waste processing facility for the UAC research and residential complexes. Unsurprisingly, it’s full of radioactive slime.
- Helix: This is where they experiment on demons and develop advanced weaponry. Which, naturally, makes it perfect for a quick round of Clan Arena.
- Perdition: Disjointed and sadistic, this ancient arena is populated by the agonized moans of unfortunate souls who have suffered within its realm.
- Sacrilegious: Set within a fracture of Hell, this map offers clear lines of sight. Move fast… or die faster.
- Heatwave: An industrial UAC facility with glistening halls that will soon be slicked with human (and demon) blood.
- Beneath: Before being beamed to Earth, the energies of Hell are harnessed in this symmetrical and cavernous location.