[UPDATE] Disney has confirmed Star Wars: The Force Awakenswill be available in home video form from Disney Movies Anywhere on April 1. It will come to Blu-ray and DVD on April 5.
The home video version of The Force Awakens will include the following (descriptions written by Disney):
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Warsand The Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has unitedStar Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
Plus Deleted Scenes
The original story is below.
While it had been rumoured for some time that Star Wars: Force Awakens might make its home entertainment debut in April, a release date has not been been officially announced. But now it seems that the DVD and Blu-ray of the blockbuster movie will arrive in stores on April 18.
As reported by gamesradar.com, the date has been revealed via a poster for Duracell batteries in the UK. The poster depicts the brand’s long-running bunny mascot wielding a lightsaber, with the release date clearly displayed underneath. The date is yet to be officially confirmed by Disney.
Earlier this week, further details about what fans can expect to find on the home entertainment release were revealed. As reported by Den of Geek, the Amazon page for the discs lists the following bonus features:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read
- Building BB-8
- Crafting Creatures
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight
- The Visual Magic Of The Force J
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony
- Deleted Scenes
- Force For Change
In an interview with the Independent newspaper, the film’s editors Mary Jo Markey and Maryann Brandon revealed that fans could expect “seven or eight” deleted scenes. “We have been talking about [the deleted scenes],” Brandon said. “But Disney has mentioned to us that–since they’re going to be DVD treats for viewers–that we should stop talking about them.”
“There aren’t a lot. There’s one with Harrison Ford, there’s one with Rey, but there aren’t a lot.”
“I think there are maybe seven or eight,” added Markey. “I don’t know if that’s a lot. I remember looking at the reel. Actually, I think there are seven.”